Mooring Permit Information
Please download a Mooring Permit Application 2020. Permit applications can also be obtained from the harbor master’s office:
131 Church Street
Belfast, ME 04915
Mooring permit fees are $85 for individual mooring/moored float plus $2 per foot for vessels over 25 feet. Please see the Harbor Usage Fees 2020 for other related fees.
- All mooring permits must be renewed every year.
- Maine boat owners must register their vessel in the town in which they reside. Out-of-state vessel owners may register their vessel in Maine where the vessel is moored. Documented vessel owners must pay their excise where the vessel is moored.
- Maine law requires ownership of a vessel to own a mooring.
- Mooring permits are approved by the harbor master.
- Mooring tackle may be sold by the owner if no longer wanted or permitted, but the space the mooring occupies can not. The harbor master must be notified.
- Moorings may not be rented or used by individuals not registered to the mooring permit without the consent of the harbor master and/or appropriate permits.
- The mooring location will be determined by the harbor master based on the size of boat registered to the mooring and available space.
- When the permit is approved, the mooring owner may choose who will build and place the mooring but it must be according to the City of Belfast Harbor Ordinance mooring standards. Please review the appropriate form below: