Parks & Recreation Commission
Members: 7 Members/3 Year Terms
- 4:00 pm
- Second Thursday of each month
- City Hall, Conference Room A
131 Church St.
Belfast, ME 04915
- Carol Rodgers Good, Chair Term Exp: July 1, 2020
- Larry Theye Term Exp: July 1, 2019
- Aynne Ames Term Exp: July 1, 2019
- Cathy Gleeson Term Exp: July 1, 2019
- Robert Gordon Term Exp: July 1, 2019
- Heather Hay Brackett Term Exp: July 1, 2020
- Rafe Blood Term Exp: July 1, 2019
Belfast’s parks system is well known and long standing. Community volunteers and a Parks & Recreation committee, which in 1971 became a Commission, carried out the activities and maintenance of the parks. In 2004 the Commission and City Council successfully advocated for a paid staff member to oversee the increasing number of parks and activities.
The Parks & Recreation Commission is a seven member group of volunteers, appointed by City Council for a three year term, who meet monthly and work closely with the Director of Parks & Recreation. In addition to their work in establishing, maintaining and improving city parks and green spaces, the Commission makes recommendations for budgeting and policy to the City Council. The Commission also supports recreational activities of other local organizations.