The City of Belfast is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Patrol Sergeant.
Employee in this position is responsible for providing a full spectrum of first response law enforcement services by patrolling all areas of the City of Belfast and serving as shift supervisor for patrol functions.
The City of Belfast is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive benefit package including health insurance, paid time off, Maine State Retirement, and programmed wage increases. Lateral entry candidates will receive pay and benefits commensurate with experience
Experience and Skill Requirements: The following experience and skills are considered essential:
• At least five years of experience as a Patrol Officer or four years with at least 60 college credits; prior supervisor experience preferred.
• Seasoned judgment and skill in leading personnel and in interpreting departmental policies and regulations.
• Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear and comprehensive written orders.
• Ability to assign, instruct and review the work of police subordinates.
• Ability to deal with the public courteously and firmly and to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable course of action.
Education Requirements: The following education requirements are considered essential:
• High School diploma or equivalent required; Associate’s Degree Criminal Justice studies or higher preferred.
• Must be a graduate of the Maine Criminal Justice Academy or have been waived or be eligible for such a waiver by the Academy Board of Trustees.
• Annual Firearms Qualification and other MCJA required annual training.
• Knowledge of modern police methods and procedures.
• Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the police department.
• Knowledge of first aid and knowledge of application of same.
• Knowledge of pertinent federal and state laws and of City ordinances.
The following materials are required and must be returned to the Belfast Police Department’s Office: Cover letter addressed to Chief Gerry Lincoln. Detailed resume, City of Belfast application, copy of a valid driver’s license, and copy of all law enforcement certification(s) by June 1, 2020.
Please contact the Belfast City Clerk for an application and full job description or with general questions at 207-338-3370 ext.114