Belfast Municipal Airport
Belfast Municipal Airport (Federal Aviation Administration airport code BST, International Civil Aviation Organization airport code KBST, Federal Aviation Administration site number 07837), located between the North and South phases of the Belfast Airport Business Park (the airport's terminal/administration Building is located at 22 Wright Brothers Drive, Belfast, or at 44°24'34.2" North, 69°00'30.1" West), is a 218-acre general aviation airport, located at 197.6 feet above mean sea level. Runway 15-33 is the airport's only active runway; it measures 4,000 feet long and 100 feet wide, and is paved and lighted.
The airport itself is open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Runway 15-33 is also open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, unless it is closed due to poor surface conditions or due to other impacts (which will be communicated via the Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) system). City staff are at the airport on an irregular basis only, and surface conditions are only reported/updated between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m, Monday through Friday, December through March (those months when freezing temperatures occur on a regular basis).
Airport Facilities & Equipment
The UNICOM frequency for Belfast Municipal Airport is 122.975 MHz; this is used to activate the medium intensity runway lights (MIRLs) (3 UNICOM clicks for low intensity, 5 UNICOM clicks for medium intensity, and 7 UNICOM clicks for high intensity) and the runway end identifier lights (REILs) for runway 15-33, and also to activate the Automated Weather Observing System (AWOS AV with ceilometer) (2 UNICOM clicks to broadcast current weather information).
Tie downs and engine block heater outlets located at the newer, western apron (to the left of the terminal/administration building) are available on a first-come, first-served basis at no charge. Please note, the airport does not supply tie down ropes. The airport has a terminal/administration building with heat and air conditioning that is available to the aviation community, and there is also free wireless internet available at the airport. Also please note, as there is no fuel system at the airport at the current time, fuel cannot be purchased.
For all airport-related matters, please contact Co-Airport Manager:
- Kenneth Ortmann via phone at (603) 970-1947 or email at email@example.com
- Scott Story via phone at (207) 323-5582, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a pilot who uses the airport and have suggestions on how it may be improved, or if you are a pilot who would like to use the airport but is currently unable to because the airport is lacking in infrastructure, in facilities, or in some other aspect, please share that information with the Co-Airport Managers.
Airport Information Resources
- Airport Information
- Airport Information AirNav
- Airport Information (FlightAware)
- Airport Information (FltPlan)
- Airport Information (SkyVector)
- Airport Master Record
- Automated Weather Observing System (AWOS AV) Conditions (This weather condition information can also be accessed by calling 207-930-7071 or via third party platforms XM WX Satellite Weather and ForeFlight.)
- Aviation Charts (iFlightPlanner)
- Facebook page for Belfast Municipal Airport
- Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs) (Please note that the City of Belfast typically updates airport runway conditions with NOTAMs only during weekdays from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m, during those times of the year when snow and other non-rain precipitation is common.)
- Belfast Municipal Airport featured in Belfast Community Television's 'Somewhere in Waldo County' (video)
- Belfast Municipal Airport Open House and Fly-In on Belfast Community Television's 'Somewhere in Waldo County' (video)
Fixed Base Operators Serving Belfast Municipal Airport
Belfast Municipal Airport has 2 fixed base operators:
DG Aviation LLC
Services provided: inspection, maintenance, and repair services for general aviation aircraft up to and including light twins; flight instructor on staff for biennial flight reviews and instrument proficiency checks; and short- and long-term hangar rentals.
Contact information: Dave Aldrich (Certified Flight Instructor, Certified Flight Instructor - Instrument): 207-338-0298 or 239-784-7472; Jim Watts (Inspection Authorization, Airframe and Powerplant): 207-631-3311
Services provided: aircraft rental; flight instruction; scenic flights; and tie downs.
Contact information: Scott Story (Certified Flight Instructor) 207-338-4456 and facebook page
Ground Transportation Serving Belfast Municipal Airport
Taxi service to and from the airport can be obtained from Bay Taxi (207-338-1993). Car rentals are available from Enterprise Rent-A-Car ( 207-338-0945 or 800-RENTACAR). Enterprise Rent-A-Car is able to pick up individuals at the airport and bring them back to their location (6 Belmont Avenue, Belfast) to pick up their rental car, provided that it is during their normal business hours (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), that they have an existing car rental reservation, and that they call Enterprise Rent-A-Car once they have landed at the airport.
Private Hangars at Belfast Municipal Airport
Space is currently available at the airport for the construction of new private hangars. For more information, please contact Co-Airport Manager Kenneth Ortmann via phone at 603-970-1947, or via email or download an information packet (PDF). (Please note, while subletting of hangars is allowed, the Airport Manager does not maintain any list regarding which existing private hangars may be available for sublease.)
Business Development at Belfast Municipal Airport
Belfast Municipal Airport’s closed runway (10-28) serves as an ideal area for future commercial aviation development, an area consisting of 13 acres of level, dry land in close proximity to utilities. An access road currently connects this potential business development site with the south phase of the immediately adjacent Belfast Airport Business Park. The City of Belfast will potentially consider any business development proposal for this site that is be FAA-compliant. If you have interest in bringing your aviation-related business to Belfast Municipal Airport, please contact Co-Airport Manager Kenneth Ortmann via phone at 603-970-1947, or via email, or download an information packet.
- The Economic Impact of Airports in Maine (executive summary) (PDF)
- The Economic Impact of Airports in Maine (full report) (PDF)
- Video of March 22, 2016 Public Information Session at the University of Maine Hutchinson Center
Recent (2019) construction of New Runway 15 Partial Parallel Taxiway and Runway 33 Bypass Taxiway.
A public information meeting to discuss the project, its schedule, and typical items of work anticipated during construction (such as trucking routes, dust mitigation, working hours, and blasting procedures was held on the evening of August 23rd, 2018, in Council Chambers at Belfast City Hall.
- Letter to Airport Neighbors Regarding Public Information Meeting on 2018.08.23 (PDF)
- Video of 2018.08.23 Public Information Meeting
Other documents related to this project:
- Bid Proposal Documents - Addendum 1 (PDF)
- Bid Proposal Documents - Plans (PDF)
- Bid Proposal Documents - Specification and Contract Documents (PDF)
- Detailed Memo with Appendices (PDF)
- Invitation to Bid (PDF)
2016 Airport Master Plan Update - Phase II
- Cover Page (PDF)
- Table of Contents (PDF)
- Chapter 1 (Introduction) (PDF)
- Chapter 2 (Inventory of Existing Conditions (PDF))
- Chapter 3 (Forecasts of Aviation Activity) (PDF)
- Chapter 4 (Airfield Capacity and Facility Requirements (PDF)
- Chapter 5 (Alternatives Analysis and Development Concepts (PDF)
- Chapter 6 (Airport Plans) (PDF)
- Chapter 7 (Financial Implementation Plan) (PDF)
- Appendix A (Glossary of Aviation Terms) (PDF)
- Appendix B (Project Advisory Committee Membership) (PDF)
- Appendix C (FAA Terminal Forecast and FAA Form 5010 for Belfast Municipal Airport) (PDF)
- Appendix D (Belfast Municipal Airport Recommended Actions from the Maine Aviation Systems Plan Update) (PDF)
- Appendix E (Belfast Municipal Airport Runway 15-33 Corridor Analysis) (PDF)
- Appendix F (Project Advisory Committee Presentations) (includes March 22, 2016 Public Information Session presentation) (PDF)
- Scope of Work, Schedule, and Budget (PDF)
- 1999 Airport Master Plan Update (PDF)
- 2008 Airport Layout Plan Update (PDF)