Belfast Municipal Airport
Belfast Municipal Airport (Federal Aviation Administration airport code BST, International Civil Aviation Organization airport code KBST, Federal Aviation Administration site number 07837), located between the North and South phases of the Belfast Airport Business Park (the airport's terminal/administration Building is located at 22 Wright Brothers Drive, Belfast, or at 44°24'34.2" North, 69°00'30.1" West), is a 218-acre general aviation airport, located at 197.6 feet above mean sea level. Runway 15-33 is the airport's only active runway; it measures 4,000 feet long and 100 feet wide, and is paved and lighted.
The airport itself is open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Runway 15-33 is also open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, unless it is closed due to poor surface conditions or due to other impacts (which will be communicated via the Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) system). City staff are at the airport on an irregular basis only, and surface conditions are only reported/updated between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m, Monday through Friday, December through March (those months when freezing temperatures occur on a regular basis).
Airport Facilities & Equipment
The UNICOM frequency for Belfast Municipal Airport is 122.975 MHz; this is used to activate the medium intensity runway lights (MIRLs) (3 UNICOM clicks for low intensity, 5 UNICOM clicks for medium intensity, and 7 UNICOM clicks for high intensity) and the runway end identifier lights (REILs) for runway 15-33, and also to activate the Automated Weather Observing System (AWOS AV with ceilometer) (2 UNICOM clicks to broadcast current weather information).
Tie downs and engine block heater outlets located at the newer, western apron (to the left of the terminal/administration building) are available on a first-come, first-served basis at no charge. Please note, the airport does not supply tie down ropes. The airport has a terminal/administration building with heat and air conditioning that is available to the aviation community, and there is also free wireless internet available at the airport. Also please note, as there is no fuel system at the airport at the current time, fuel cannot be purchased.
For all airport-related matters, please contact the Airport Manager, Thomas Kittredge, either via phone at 207-338-3370 extension 600 or via email the Airport.
If you are a pilot who uses the airport and have suggestions on how it may be improved, or if you are a pilot who would like to use the airport but is currently unable to because the airport is lacking in infrastructure, in facilities, or in some other aspect, please share that information with the Airport Manager.
Airport Information Resources
- Airport Chart Supplements (Airport Facility Directory) (25 April 2019 to 20 June 2019 edition)
- Airport Information
- Airport Information AirNav
- Airport Information (FlightAware)
- Airport Information (FltPlan)
- Airport Information (SkyVector)
- Airport Master Record
- Airport Terminal Procedures - Takeoff Minimums (25 April 2019 to 23 May 2019 edition)
- Airport Terminal Procedures - RNAV (GPS) RWY 15 (25 April 2019 to 23 May 2019 edition)
- Airport Terminal Procedures - RNAY (GPS) RWY 33 (25 April 2019 to 23 May 2019 edition)
- Automated Weather Observing System (AWOS AV) Conditions (This weather condition information can also be accessed by calling 207-930-7071 or via third party platforms XM WX Satellite Weather and ForeFlight.)
- Aviation Charts (iFlightPlanner)
- Facebook page for Belfast Municipal Airport
- Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs) (Please note that the City of Belfast typically updates airport runway conditions with NOTAMs only during weekdays from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m, during those times of the year when snow and other non-rain precipitation is common.)
- Visual Flight Rules (VFR) Aeronautical Chart (Montreal Section) (28 February 2019 to 15 August 2019 edition) (please note: large file to open or download) (PDF)
- Belfast Municipal Airport featured in Belfast Community Television's 'Somewhere in Waldo County' (video)
- Belfast Municipal Airport Open House and Fly-In on Belfast Community Television's 'Somewhere in Waldo County' (video)
Fixed Base Operators Serving Belfast Municipal Airport
Belfast Municipal Airport has 2 fixed base operators:
DG Aviation LLC
Services provided: inspection, maintenance, and repair services for general aviation aircraft up to and including light twins; flight instructor on staff for biennial flight reviews and instrument proficiency checks; and short- and long-term hangar rentals.
Contact information: Dave Aldrich (Certified Flight Instructor, Certified Flight Instructor - Instrument): 207-338-0298 or 239-784-7472; Jim Watts (Inspection Authorization, Airframe and Powerplant): 207-631-3311
Services provided: aircraft rental; flight instruction; scenic flights; and tie downs.
Contact information: 207-338-4456; facebook page
Ground Transportation Serving Belfast Municipal Airport
Taxi service to and from the airport can be obtained from Bay Taxi (207-338-1993). Car rentals are available from Enterprise Rent-A-Car ( 207-338-0945 or 800-RENTACAR). Enterprise Rent-A-Car is able to pick up individuals at the airport and bring them back to their location (6 Belmont Avenue, Belfast) to pick up their rental car, provided that it is during their normal business hours (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), that they have an existing car rental reservation, and that they call Enterprise Rent-A-Car once they have landed at the airport.
Private Hangars at Belfast Municipal Airport
Space is currently available at the airport for the construction of new private hangars. For more information, please contact Airport Manager Thomas Kittredge via phone at 207-338-3370 extension 600, or via email or download an information packet (PDF). (Please note, while subletting of hangars is allowed, the Airport Manager does not maintain any list regarding which existing private hangars may be available for sublease.)
Business Development at Belfast Municipal Airport
Belfast Municipal Airport’s closed runway (10-28) serves as an ideal area for future commercial aviation development, an area consisting of 13 acres of level, dry land in close proximity to utilities. An access road currently connects this potential business development site with the south phase of the immediately adjacent Belfast Airport Business Park. The City of Belfast would potentially consider any business development proposal for this site that would be FAA-compliant. If you have interest in bringing your aviation-related business to Belfast Municipal Airport, please contact Airport Manager Thomas Kittredge via phone at 207-338-3370 extension 600, or via email, or download an information packet.
Construction of New Runway 15 Partial Parallel Taxiway and Runway 33 Bypass Taxiway
The proposed parallel taxiway project consists of a partial parallel taxiway to serve the runway 15 end of the airport and a bypass taxiway to serve the runway 33 end of the airport.
Project construction has resumed on Monday, April 29th, 2019, and the project's current expected completion date is Thursday, June 13th, 2019. Taxiways A and B will be closed for the duration of the project, and Runway 15-33 will be closed from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. for the expected period of time of Monday, June 3rd, 2019 to Thursday, June 13th, 2019. (Blasting, which was part of this project, was completed on January 31st, 2019. No blasting is part of the remainder of the project.)
- Construction Safety and Phasing Plan (showing limits for pre-blast surveys) (PDF)
- Overall Project Schedule (as of 2018.11.02) (PDF)
- Project Schedule (2019.May 13, 2019.05.26) (PDF)
- Project Schedule (2019.January 21, 2019.02.03) (PDF)
- Project Schedule (2019.January 14, 2019.01.27) (PDF)
- Project Schedule (2018.December 24, 2019.01.06) (PDF)
- Project Schedule (2018.December 17, 2018.12.30) (PDF)
- Project Schedule (2018.December 3, 2018.12.16) (PDF)
- Coordination Meeting 8 (2019.01.17) Minutes (PDF)
- Coordination Meeting 7 (2019.01.10) Minutes (PDF)
- Coordination Meeting 6 (2019.01.03) Minutes (PDF)
- Coordination Meeting 5 (2018.12.27) Minutes (PDF)
- Coordination Meeting 4 (2018.12.20) Minutes (PDF)
- Coordination Meeting 3 (2018.12.13) Minutes (PDF)
- Coordination Meeting 2 (2018.12.06) Minutes (PDF)
- Coordination Meeting 1 (2018.11.29) Minutes (PDF)
If you wish to be placed on an email distribution list that will receive periodic updates for the project, please send an email to Belfast Airport indicating your interest in being added to that distribution list.
A public information meeting to discuss the project, its schedule, and typical items of work anticipated during construction (such as trucking routes, dust mitigation, working hours, and blasting procedures was held on the evening of August 23rd, 2018, in Council Chambers at Belfast City Hall
- Letter to Airport Neighbors Regarding Public Information Meeting on 2018.08.23 (PDF)
- Video of 2018.08.23 Public Information Meeting
Other documents related to this project:
- Bid Proposal Documents - Addendum 1 (PDF)
- Bid Proposal Documents - Plans (PDF)
- Bid Proposal Documents - Specification and Contract Documents (PDF)
- Detailed Memo with Appendices (PDF)
- Invitation to Bid (PDF)
Airport Master Plan Update - Phase II
The City of Belfast is currently undertaking phase II of the update of the airport's master plan.
- Cover Page (PDF)
- Table of Contents (PDF)
- Chapter 1 (Introduction) (PDF)
- Chapter 2 (Inventory of Existing Conditions (PDF))
- Chapter 3 (Forecasts of Aviation Activity) (PDF)
- Chapter 4 (Airfield Capacity and Facility Requirements (PDF)
- Chapter 5 (Alternatives Analysis and Development Concepts (PDF)
- Chapter 6 (Airport Plans) (PDF)
- Chapter 7 (Financial Implementation Plan) (PDF)
- Appendix A (Glossary of Aviation Terms) (PDF)
- Appendix B (Project Advisory Committee Membership) (PDF)
- Appendix C (FAA Terminal Forecast and FAA Form 5010 for Belfast Municipal Airport) (PDF)
- Appendix D (Belfast Municipal Airport Recommended Actions from the Maine Aviation Systems Plan Update) (PDF)
- Appendix E (Belfast Municipal Airport Runway 15-33 Corridor Analysis) (PDF)
- Appendix F (Project Advisory Committee Presentations) (includes March 22, 2016 Public Information Session presentation) (PDF)
- Scope of Work, Schedule, and Budget (PDF)
- Current (1999) Airport Master Plan Update (PDF)
- Current (2008) Airport Layout Plan Update (PDF)
- The Economic Impact of Airports in Maine (executive summary) (PDF)
- The Economic Impact of Airports in Maine (full report) (PDF)
- Video of March 22, 2016 Public Information Session at the University of Maine Hutchinson Center