Apply for General Assistance
The General Assistance office is open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday's. Please call the General Assistance Office at (207) 338-3370 ext. 20 to make an appointment or if you wish to leave a message.
In order to receive assistance you must apply in person.
Please remember you can only be seen once in a 30 day period.
When applying for assistance, please bring all of the following items:
- Your most recent bills and receipts for your rent or mortgage, heating fuel, electricity and others you may have (water bill etc.)
- Name and address of your landlord-your lease stating who is on the lease, what your rent is, any utilities included in your rent, etc.
- Cancelled checks, receipts or other documents to show how you have spent any income received during the last 30 days.
- Driver's license.
- Your Social Security number and the Social Security numbers of all your household (of anyone living with you)
- Insurance policies.
- A doctor’s statement if you are ill, disabled or not able to work.
- Financial statements from checking and/or savings accounts.
- Title and registration for any car, truck, or recreational vehicle that you own.
Remember, it is up to you to show that you are eligible. If you do not bring in all of the information that has been asked for, the administrator may have to deny your request until you provide the necessary information.