The City of Belfast received a $500,000 grant from the Department of Economic and Community Development to make improvements to the area bordered by Main Street, Front Street, Cross Street, and Belfast Common.
The following improvements are planned:
- Constructing approximately 45 on-street parking spaces;
- Constructing of approximately 1,400 linear feet of new sidewalks and crosswalks;
- Installing new, pedestrian-scale lighting in harmony with area light fixtures;
- Replacing the existing drainage swale along Spring Street with an underground storm
- Redesigning utilities and drainage along Cross and Miller Streets;
- Designing and installing new way-finding signage;
- Constructing a gateway area and adding benches and other welcoming improvements to
Belfast Common at its Cross/Miller Street entrance; and
- Planting new street trees along Cross, Miller (including in Belfast Common) and Spring
The engineering and design for this project was recently awarded to the firm of Sebago Technics. They will be working closely with the local CDBG Downtown Revitalization Advisory Committee and the Project Administrator, Ron Harriman. A concept plan has already been developed and our engineering firm will review this preliminary plan, consider changes, and make recommendations to the Committee. All property owners in the project target area have been contacted to review the planned improvements and we will continue to keep the community informed by posting updates on the City’s website at www.cityofbelfast.org/downtown. Two public meetings will also be conducted to present proposed plans and final plans for construction. Construction will most likely be taking place in 2014 but there is a possibility of splitting the construction into two phases and beginning later in 2013.
This is an exciting project and will tie in nicely with the Belfast Harbor Walk currently underway. It will provide an inviting connection between Main Street, Belfast Common, and Steamboat Landing. This revitalization project will also be a catalyst for new development to further enhance our vibrant community.